This transparent founder reveals it all.
If you’re interested in online businesses or running your own business in general, then you should be familiar with the importance of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It’s a marketing strategy that you can use to rank higher on search engines such as Google, Bing, or Yahoo.
Since there are over 3.5 Billion searches happening per day on Google alone, this makes SEO one of the most effective and scalable strategies in online marketing. Our lovely and humble guest, Rand Fishkin, has built a $36,000,000 (yes, that’s 6 zeros) annual business, that helps other companies with their SEO and other marketing strategies.
With over 150 employees, Moz is now one of the top leaders in online marketing tools. But you’ll be surprised to hear their humble beginnings. In fact, Rand is a self-claimed “accidental entrepreneur.”
After dropping out of college, Rand joined his mom, who was running a marketing agency at the time. Not the digital marketing agencies that you see today, but the ones where they created pamphlets and brochures — the old school way of promoting! It took many years before they finally decided to introduce a software tool, which they originally built for themselves internally, where people can access by paying a monthly subscription.
Highlights of the Episode
- The origins of how Rand became an “accidental entrepreneur” described in detail
- The steps Rand took in order to transition from trading time for money, to building a scalable, multi-million dollar business
- The pros and cons of raising money from outside investors, and what Rand recommends
- How Moz used inbound marketing and blogging to build a massive following and initial loyal customers
- How to use inbound marketing as a competitive advantage before, during, and after your launch your product or service
- Why it’s okay not to know what you’re doing when starting a business or pursuing your dream
- What Rand would do differently if he had to start Moz from day one
- What is a “flywheel” marketing channel, and why it’s the essential foundation to grow your business
- The 3 components Rand recommends when you’re deciding on a marketing strategy today
Links Mentioned in the Episode
- Moz.com Website
- Moz’s Blog & Forum
- Rand’s Twitter
- The first whiteboard Friday video (“vidcast”)
- Managing Oneself by Peter Drucker
Rand’s Challenge to the listeners
“Become self-aware of your strengths, and what you love and hate doing.”
Related Episodes You May Enjoy
- How to Build Your Personal Brand From Scratch
- How to Grow an Online Magazine Empire
- How to Run a 6-Figure Business Online While Traveling the World
Photo Cred: Pablo Duran
This Article was published by: Sean Kim
and shared from: www.inc.com
Follow Sean Kim on Twitter:@heyseankim